It's classic, not plastic

This Fondriest bike has been my loyal companion for more than 21 years. I nicknamed it 'giallorossa' for its colours (it means 'red and yellow' in Italian) which are also the colours of my favourite soccer team, AS Roma.
This bike is now in Italy and I keep using it during my summer holidays over there.
It is still a great bike and I changed just a few components from the day I bought it.
I used it in Italy, UK and Australia before I purchased a new Trek bike.
It never deceived me and it has been a very reliable bike so far. It is not for sure the best bike of its time but I have such a particular attachment to this piece of metal that reminds me my youth when I had no responsibilities.
It is classic because is made of steel and it does not share anything with the fancy bikes you can find today.
Bought with the first money I made while I was studying at uni, it accompanied me during the most important phases of my life. It helped me to overcome the sad moments of my life.
Despite a few chips it is still running great and it still serves me very well for my long and tough rides in Italy. For sure the weight it is not comparable with the modern bikes but I always use to say to my friends that it is cheaper and healthier to loose a couple of kilos from your body rather than buying a lighter bike.

Comments

gpashe said…
Hi - I have recently got an identical frame. Can you recall the seatpost diameter. 26.8mm or 27.0mm?
Giovanni said…
When I will go back to Italy, I will measure it.
gpashe said…
Ha ha - thank you
Giovanni said…
Jokes apart, I would try to contact the manufacturer at https://www.fondriestbici.com/
The model of the bike is MegaChrome 1998 (I bought it in 1998 but I think the model could be from 1997).
gpashe said…
Hi - I did contact them. They have no info pre-2006 when the brand was bought by another group )-: I am going to buy a cheap 26.8mm seatpost and see is that correct fit...

Popular posts from this blog

When cycling in Italy

My bike adventures in 2022