Riding in Perth

My day starts with a bike ride to work. It is the most beautiful, relaxing and rewarding activity of the day for sure. When I arrived in Perth I managed to buy a second hand hybrid bike paid just $180 (~€ 130). It is an Avanti Blade 1.0 size 54 that needed a bit of care. I replaced the wheels (Shimano WH-R500) with another additional $100 (~€ 70), gave good clean and, voila, I was able to roll.  A special thank goes to Carsten and Jacey that lent me the necessary tools to dismount the old cassette and install it in the new wheel-set. I also pimped the bike with some additional accessories (bike computer, small pump, saddle bag and a back USB light for the night rides back home), all of them rigorously used.


To go to work, I usually take the long way to admire the Perth City Skyline and enjoy the morning breeze. The ride is very gentle and I do not want to push hard, as this is my moment of freedom before the day at work and I do not want really rush for it.


Perth is definitely well organised for cyclists with plenty of well maintained bike paths all around the city. However, I was really surprised how the life for cyclists was made even more enjoyable with the recent upgrades in the city.


Bike paths in the crowded and hectic part of the city are clearly marked and distinguished from the rest of the lanes. Signs of cycling lanes are disseminated everywhere to make the motor vehicle drivers aware of the presence of cyclists.


On top of that, the new upgrades at the lights made the big difference in terms of safety. The bikes are allowed to overtake the motor vehicles and stop in front of them at the traffic light.



In addition, the lights themselves were  modified in a way to allow the bikes to leave the intersection a few seconds earlier than the motor vehicles. This without considering the sensors submerged under the asphalt that are able to recognise the presence of the bikes and accordingly regulate the traffic lights.

Of course there are so many things that have to be improved and nothing is perfect, but I must admit that going to work by riding a bike is very enjoyable in Perth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's classic, not plastic

When cycling in Italy

My bike adventures in 2022